British rivers and lakes are being choked with algae because of the record-breaking heatwave that has scorched the UK.
Cumbrian magnificence spot Lake Windermere is amongst waterways and our bodies of water stuffed with algal blooms, which are likely to thrive in excessive temperatures and after sewage is discharged into waterways.
Blooms of blue-green algae will be poisonous to people and animals and may cause pores and skin rashes, vomiting, abdomen pains, fever, and complications.
People are being warned not to enter the water after blue-green algae was confirmed in Bedford.
The algae – cyanobacteria – was present in Priory Country Park’s lakes and different rivers throughout the district, Bedford Borough Council warned.
Councillor Charles Royden stated: “Please ensure any children and pets are supervised at all times while near any lakes or rivers in the borough.”
The council has reported the findings to Public Health England and the Environment Agency.
Meanwhile, two canines have died inside days of one another after suspected blue-green algae poisoning at magnificence spots in Aberdeenshire, studies the Daily Record.
The first pet died after swimming in a lake at Haddo Country Park final week and locals have been warned to maintain canines on a lead. In the second incident, a canine died after taking part in within the River Dee across the Knappach space.
In Slough, Berkshire, algae lined the Jubilee River as temperatures rose above 30C.
An Environment Agency spokesperson stated: “Hot, sunny weather can result in algal blooms forming and removing dissolved oxygen from our waters, which fish need to survive.
“Environment Agency officers are out on the ground ensuring our fisheries are supported, deploying aeration pumps to restore oxygen levels and, when necessary, performing a fish rescue.”