“As of now, a total of 20 colleges in six languages from ten states have been approved by the Council to offer Engineering education in regional languages,” says Anil Sahasrabudhe, chairman, AICTE.
“Among all the 20 colleges that have got AICTE nod, most colleges have opted for Hindi. This is followed by Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Bengali,” adds Sahasrabudhe. Other than these, Malayalam, Gujarati, Assamese, Odia and Punjabi languages have also been approved by the AICTE for Engineering courses.
You have successfully cast your vote
The move to offer technical education in mother tongue is aimed to instil confidence among students who have studied from schools located in remote areas and students with weak English.
Engineering colleges that have started admission for BTech programme in regional languages from this academic year are not getting encouraging response. For instance, a college which has started admission for BTech in Computer Science in Hindi has few takers. The college with an intake capacity of 120 seats has got just 32 applicants. According to source at the college, “Students are quite apprehensive about future career prospect after finishing BTech in Computer Science in a regional language.”
Erode Sengunthar Engineering College which offers BTech in Mechanical Engineering in Tamil is also facing shortage of applicants. “So far just 24 admissions have been confirmed. To fill the rest of seats another round of counselling is being conducted,” says V Venkatachalam, principal.
On lukewarm response to Engineering education in mother tongue, Venkatachalam reasons that lack of awareness is the major challenge. “Most of the students are not aware of the availability of Engineering education in regional language that is why they are applying for admission. An awareness campaign is needed to promote Engineering education. Gradually they will get to know and come forward for admission,” he adds.
Erode Sengunthar Engineering College shortlists candidates for counselling based on their academic performance in class XII or equivalent.
List of colleges offering Engineering in regional languages
- Poornima Institute of Engineering & Technology, Rajasthan: Hindi
- Poornima College of Engineering, Rajasthan: Hindi
- Graphic Era Deemed to be University, Uttarakhand: Hindi
- Noida Institute of Engineering & Technology, Uttar Pradesh: Hindi
- Ajay Kumar Garg Engineering College, Uttar Pradesh: Hindi
- PSIT-Pranveer Singh Institute of Technology, Uttar Pradesh: Hindi
- GL Bajaj Institute of Technology and Management, Uttar Pradesh: Hindi
- IPS Academy, Institute of Engineering & Science, Madhya Pradesh: Hindi
- JC Bose University of Science & Technology, Faridabad: Hindi
- Deen Bandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science & Technology, Sonepat: Hindi
- Guru Jambeshwar University of Science &Technology, Hissar: Hindi
- Cambridge Institute of Technology, Bengaluru: Kannada
- BLDE College of Engineering, Vijayapura: Kannada
- SJC Institute of Technology, Chikkaballapur: Kannada
- Coorg Institute of Technology, Ponnampet: Kannada
- Technique Polytechnic Institute of Technology, West Bengal: Bengali
- NRI Institute of Technology, Andhra Pradesh: Telugu
- Pimpri Chinchwad College of Engineering, Maharashtra: Marathi
- Rathinam Technical Campus, Tamil Nadu: Tamil
- Erode Sengunthar Engineering College, Tamil Nadu: Tamil
**If you have any Query Related This Post then here is the Source Link**