WASHINGTON — The House committee scrutinizing the Jan. 6 Capitol attack issued 10 new subpoenas on Tuesday for former top officials in President Donald J. Trump’s White House, including his senior adviser Stephen Miller, as its investigation continues to expand.
The latest batch of demands for testimony and documents focuses on White House officials with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s actions in the buildup to and during the violence that engulfed the Capitol, when a mob of his supporters stormed the building on Jan. 6, and aides who helped the former president press the lie that the 2020 election had been stolen from him.
“The select committee wants to learn every detail of what went on in the White House on Jan. 6 and in the days beforehand,” Representative Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi and the committee’s chairman, said in a statement. “We need to know precisely what role the former president and his aides played in efforts to stop the counting of the electoral votes and if they were in touch with anyone outside the White House attempting to overturn the outcome of the election.”
The new demands are part of a ramping-up of the work of the committee, which in just the past two days has nearly doubled the number of subpoenas it has issued, bringing the total to 35.
Among the others receiving subpoenas was Nicholas Luna, an assistant to Mr. Trump who acted as one of his “body men” and was in the Oval Office as the president pressured Vice President Mike Pence to refuse to certify the election. Ben Williamson, an adviser to the former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows who the panel said had tried unsuccessfully during the riot to get Mr. Trump to issue a statement condemning the violence, was also summoned, as Mr. Meadows was last month.
The committee also issued a subpoena for Molly Michael, a White House assistant who emailed Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey A. Rosen “talking points” alleging a “cover-up” regarding voting machines in Michigan.
And the panel demanded documents and testimony from Johnny McEntee, a former White House personnel director, who was reportedly in the Oval Office during a meeting with Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence when Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former president’s personal lawyer, suggested seizing Dominion voting machines because of election fraud.
Keith Kellogg, Mr. Pence’s national security adviser, and Kayleigh McEnany, the former White House press secretary who was reportedly with Mr. Trump at times as he watched the attack, also received subpoenas.
The orders came a day after the committee issued subpoenas for six Trump allies, including the former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn, and as it tightened its focus to an orchestrated effort by Mr. Trump and his associates to overturn the 2020 election.
One of the people summoned on Monday was John Eastman, a lawyer who drafted a memo laying out how Mr. Trump could use the vice president and Congress to try to invalidate the election results.
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
**If you have any Query Related This Post then here is the Source Link**